UP TO 3.5 MILLION REDUNDANCIES ARE EXPECTED DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS.
Our country faces its worst recession since the 1930s.
Firms who have recently announced redundancies include:
* Caterlink and Chartwells, which work with around 3,400 schools and colleges providing catering services
* Eason (NI), the province’s equivalent of WH Smith is set to shut it's seven stores
* Harvey Nichols has written to all 1,500 staff and told them “We envisage there may be staff redundancies at all locations.”
* Luxury fashion firm Burberry will lay off 500 workers
* The Guardian said it plans to cut 180 jobs and the BBC will slash 520 jobs
* The world-famous Eden Project in Cornwall has said that job losses for up to 40 percent of its staff are 'sadly inevitable'
This news comes after nearly 63,000 jobs are cut by companies including Airbus, British Airways, EasyJet, Harrods, TM Lewin and Ted Baker.
No wonder that Len McCluskey, the leader of the Unite union has warned of a "tsunami of redundancies”.
The fiscal watchdog the Office for Budget Responsibility has said that unemployment could rise to four million by next year.
Our union Solidarity is urging people to STAY ALERT, BUY BRITISH, SAVE JOBS.
Our union wants to inform everyone that our country faces big challenges. We know that many face redundancy and we are representing people in that bleak position to make sure they are treated fairly.
You have power as a consumer. We want you to exercise your purchasing choices to express that. Every time you Buy UK made goods you are showing that you believe in our country and are supporting it. It's a daily expression of patriotism and confidence. We have great products that are still made here so it really isn't that hard to do.
When you Buy British you are also helping to safeguard and maybe even encourage job creation here at home.
Solidarity has never shied away from the slogan 'British Jobs for British Workers'.
We want an economy providing high-skilled jobs to all workers here. Don't you?
Remember too that the more local your purchases are the better it is ecologically.
So not only are you being patriotic by buying British but you are helping our environment too!
Check out https://www.facebook.com/Great-UK-products-you-can-buy-100185801695335/ for ideas!